Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease

In mid July, the kids got Hand Foot and Mouth Disease. I had someone watch them on a Thursday, and that's where they got it. On Saturday, we went to Ayden's birthday party, and on Sunday, Matthew went to nursery and Ayden stopped by with Aaron to pick up their black couch. Then on Monday, both kids had fevers and both ended up vomiting. They were fine on Tuesday, but suddenly they had these bug bites. Matthew's legs looked just like I did when I got eaten alive by bed bugs on our way back from Florida. However, other spots on his legs didn't look like bed bugs, and Hannah didn't look like it either. I was so confused and terrified of bed bugs.

 Luckily I mentioned the bug bites to the friend who had watched them and she put it all together that they had Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. Her cousins had had it, and her daughter had had a fever with one dot, which the doctor didn't think was Hand, Foot and Mouth. But apparently it was, because Matthew had a bad break out. Hannah's case was extremely mild. The felt fine after the fever broke, they just had some unsightly blisters. Hannah had very few spots, but peeled like crazy when they were done. Matthew on the other hand had horrible blisters but no peeling. Kinda strange.

To top it off, Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease is very contagious, especially before your symptoms appear. Ayden ended up catching it, but as far as I know, no one in the nursery caught it. They shut down the nursery for two weeks, regardless, so they could deep clean it. The same friend had lent us Frozen, so we watched that every single day while they were in quarantine. And she made us cupcakes.

Matthew's "bug bites"

Matthew's non bug bites

Hannah had a few dots, too

Yummy cupcakes

Matthew loves cupcakes



No comments:

Post a Comment